At York Furrier, we are singing the praises of iconic British designer, Zandra Rhodes. With pink hair, artistic make-up, and a flair for dramatic details, Rhodes’ incomparable creations have contributed to the playful side of the York Collection.
Known in the fashion industry as the “Princess of Punk,” Rhodes has an incredible talent for irreverently pairing theatrically bold colors with feminine frills in geometrically distinctive designs that pop and surprise. Her versatility as a designer is obvious in her range of clientele, which has included everyone from the royal (Diana, Princess of Wales, Princess Anne, and HRH Princess Michael of Kent), to the legendary (Elizabeth Taylor and Jackie Kennedy Onassis), to rock stars and runway greats (Freddie Mercury of Queen, Diana Ross, Iman, and Kate Moss), to pop culture’s Kylie Minogue, Bianca Jagger, Joan Rivers, Sarah Jessica Parker and Paris Hilton.
Her designs have sold worldwide, and she has now taken her work to the stage, designing sets and costumes for operas such as “The Magic Flute” and “The Pearl Fishers” in their North American productions. Currently the San Diego Opera’s production of “Aida” features Rhodes’ unmistakable imprint of vivid color and whimsical details.
Along with textiles, clothing and furs (which she introduced in 1995), Rhodes’ design repertoire also includes jewelry, handbags, cosmetics, swimwear, beach bags, under garments, eyewear, bed linens, tableware, even fine china. And, her distinguished resumé is chock full as a textile manufacturer, designer, published author, museum founder and supporter of many philanthropic organizations.
In addition to being presented with the original York Furrier Designer of the Year Award, accolades for Rhodes include:
- 1972 U.K. Designer of the Year
- 1974 Earned the title of Royal Designer for Industry
- 1985 Authored “The Art of Zandra Rhodes”
- 1986 Woman of Distinction
- 1995 Hall of Fame Award from the British Fashion Council
- 1997 “Golden Hanger” Lifetime Achievement Award
- 1997 Made a Commander of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II
- 1998 Named Leading Woman Entrepreneur of the World by Star Group USA
- 2003 Received the Living Legacy Award; Founded London’s Fashion and Textile Museum
- 2005 Creator of the retrospective, “Zandra Rhodes: A Lifelong Love Affair with Textiles” which opened at Britain’s Fashion and Textile Museum. Soon after, her book by the same name published.
- 2009 Appointed Chancellor of the University for the Creative Arts in the United Kingdom