Proper at home care will extend the wear of your fur garment and keep it as beautiful as the day you purchased it. Here is a simiple list which will help you to care for your fur & fine outerwear garments at home:
- York Furrier recommends hanging your fur on a broad-shouldered hanger so the weight of the fur will be evenly distributed without straining the shoulder seams
- Hang your coat with the collar up to prevent flattening the fur. Also allow enough space around your fur for air circulation
- Keep your fur away from heat vents or any direct heat source which would cause the leather to become dry and brittle
- Keep furs away from direct light sources to avoid color changes
- When fur gets wet, shake gently to remove excess moisture and hang in a cool, dry place. There is no need to brush or comb a fur; a simple shake will fluff it out
- Never place chemicals or moth preservatives on or near your fur
- Friction can break fur guard hairs. We suggest you carry packages and handbags away from direct contact with your coat. Also jewelery worn on the wrist and neck may cause unnecessary wear to the cuffs and collar.
- Do not store furs in bags
One of the most important aspects of fur care includes professional storage. During the warm summer months, you must protect your fur from heat damage to the leather. Fur storage keeps your fur’s leather soft and supple allowing for longer wear. Call 630-832-2200 to schedule a storage pick-up from our Elmhurst location.