YF Services – Essential Care for Your Fur & Outerwear Investments
Professional, On-site YF Services for Fur, Shearling, Leather, Fine Fabric, Down & Skiwear Garments.
As the temps heat-up, it’s time for your fur and fine outerwear garments to receive some needed annual TLC – that’s Storage, Cleaning, Repairs, and perhaps Alterations, Restyling or Repurposing for older fur garments. Protecting your fur and outerwear investments NOW will ensure wearing enjoyment for many years (even decades!) ahead. For minor repairs, a better fit, restyling, even upcycling a cherished family heirloom or a fabulous vintage fur into something new, the professional, on-site services provided by the YF Staff and talented Design Team are unsurpassed!
Here’s your guide to YF Services:
Fur storage is a necessity NOT a luxury! During the warmer months, your gorgeous furs and luxe outerwear require yearly maintenance. The on-site humidity and temperature controlled storage vaults at York Furrier offer your garments safe and secure protection from excessive heat (to keep pelts soft and supple), insects (specifically moth damage), and the YF storage vaults provide ample space for each of your garments (preventing matting, creasing, or funky odors). In addition to furs and outerwear, York Furrier also accepts antique clothing, sports jerseys, plush velvet curtains, ornate liturgical vestments, and other valuable items that need safe and secure, climate-controlled storage.
Note that home air conditioning, cedar closets, and humid basements are poor substitutes for the optimum care that your fur and fine outerwear garments will receive at York Furrier.
KEEP IT CLEAN
Just as your luxury vehicle requires a thorough detailing to look its best, so too does a beautiful fur, stylish shearling, or luxe leather jacket. During fur cleaning and conditioning, using environmentally friendly methods and state-of-the-art equipment, the York Furrier Staff restores a fur’s sheen and luster, cleans silk linings, and helps preserve the natural oils in the fur pelt to keep it soft and supple. A thorough, but gentle cleaning by furrier method (NOT dry cleaning which utilizes harsh chemicals) removes dust, dirt, and harmful salt used to de-ice sidewalks.
To remove odors from cigarette smoke, musty or mildew smells from years of inattention, smoke damage from house fires, etc., York Furrier offers a specialty ozone treatment in combination with the YF cleaning service to remedy most odor problems.
In addition to cleaning and refinishing services for leathers, suedes, and shearlings, York Furrier also offers weather and stain protection treatments for garments, handbags and boots.
Minor fur repairs to a better fit, the YF Design Team will replace closures, repair or replace linings, fix openings and repair worn areas, reshape or resize garments for proper fit and stylish comfort, even, repurpose old furs into fur trimmed accessories or home décor items.
Upon arrival at York Furrier, a member of the YF Staff will meticulously inspect your fur and outerwear garments from hood to hemline to note any necessary restorative work that’s needed.
- Repairing or replacing linings, monograms, or personalized labels
- Moving or replacing lost or damaged closures – hooks, rings, loops and buttons
- Attending to any open tears or split seams in furs, shearlings or leathers
- Shortening or lengthening sleeves or hemlines
- Replacing faux fur hood trim with real fur
- Adding a fur collar to a cashmere, wool, or down garment
- Adding a detachable hood to a mink zip jacket, a fox vest, or a sheared mink coat
Suggested fur restyle updates include:
- Reducing shoulder fullness
- Raising dolman armholes
- Tapering voluminous sleeves
- Shearing long hair fur garments to reduce weight and fullness
- Slimming and shaping the silhouette
- Converting a full length fox or mink coat into a cropped bolero, zip jacket, or a hooded vest
- Using a full length fur coat to create a reversible fur to rainwear walking coat
Ideas for Upcycling or Repurposing an older fur:
- Accessory Items
- Add fur trim to a pair of leather gloves or suede boots
- Create a fur envelope clutch or roomy backpack
- Design fur earmuffs, a stylish fur scarf, or versatile headband/collar
- Update a denim jacket with fur trim or inner lining
- Create Novelty Items
- Mink Baby Booties or Teddy Bears
- A fur coat for a Barbie Doll or a short haired Puppy
- Champagne bottle cozy
- Christmas Tree Skirt or Decorative Fur Trimmed Santa Clause
- Upcycle an older fur garment into Home Décor
- Fur pillows
- Fur blankets or throws
- Fur chair, bench, or ottoman covering
- Fur floor coverings
The York Furrier Design Team will help you discover the many ways to make an old fur like new again!